TRANSCEND is a mutual support and discussion group, linked to Macclesfield Pride, for all Transgender/Gender Variant People (TG, TS, IS, NB, GQ, TV/CD) and their partners, families, allies, and supporters.
We hold monthly meetings at various locations in Macclesfield and surrounding areas, and invite anyone to join us for an informal chat. We encourage you to dress in whatever feels comfortable, as we aim to make this a group where we can ‘be ourselves’.
We have a supportive Facebook group and facilitators/co-ordinators of this group are a transwoman with personal experience of many of the areas focused on by the group, and an LGBTQ+ ally, with extensive experience of family support and vast knowledge of the local community.
Contact details: Kay: 07922 459200 Sue: 07881 725936
We have a core group of members with a range of knowledge, experience, and skills, who are prepared to take telephone calls and speak 1-1 with people.
We are not a helpline but have lived through experiences which others may be able to relate to including:
- Knowledge of the effects of MTF/FTM gender affirming hormones and surgery options, and organisations able to offer timely treatment privately.
- Knowledge of equality legislation and rights, including around NHS for bridging care and access to “single sex spaces”.
- Advice on shapewear, clothing, everyday make up and grooming. • How to change government ID and to obtain gender recognition
- Advice on speech and language (with or without surgery) and around body language and gait • Motivation, confidence building, makeup skills
- Open to discussion about topics such as body issues, difficult home life, abandonment, and other social issues
- Working with disabled and older people
- Experience of mental health issues – we can talk to people and try to reassure them that there is help there and there are people who will listen.
- Mental Health professional knowledge.
- Deaf awareness and communication skills
We do welcome any age to the group, but given many of the places we meet are in venues where alcohol is served, anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.